TWC Application Requirements
1. Complete the online Application Form.
The application will include all of the following:
– One Page Resume
– Internship interest statement, not to exceed 100 words – Describe your academic, professional, and personal goals for an internship in DC and your area.
– Issues Essay, not to exceed 500 words – Discuss one major issue related to the field in which you wish to work. Include your personal views.
2. Submit three confidential letters of recommendation together with cover forms.
– These should be from faculty or employers. At least one must be from a Truman faculty member. You should contact your recommenders as soon as possible and give them the recommendation form. All letters should be confidential and the recommender should preferably send the letter via email to email@example.com. If not, campus mail to Dr. Jay Self will suffice. The form can be found here: Recommendation Form
ALL DOCUMENTS FOR SUMMER INTERNSHIPS SHOULD BE
SUBMITTED BY MARCH 3, 2017
Your application will then be passed along to the campus committee, as described below.
Your application packet will be judged on the following characteristics:
Experience and Motivation:
A specific, convincing reason for your desire to intern
Your GPA and transcript demonstrate a willingness to accept challenges and an ability to succeed under pressure Your education and work experience aligns with your ideal internship placement and goals
Initiative: Involvement and Leadership
Continued involvement and leadership in student organizations
Evidence of creative problem solving and/or increasing responsibility in co-curricular activity
Written Communication Skills:
Precise language, concise structure, accuracy
Development of a thesis throughout a statement
Attention to good spelling, grammar, and punctuation
Good paragraph construction
Solid, ethical reasoning
Insight into complexity
The Truman in Washington Program board will interview finalists. During your 20 minute interview you will be judged on the following characteristics:
Oral Communication Skills
Demonstration of Cultural Adaptability (prompts provided)
Demonstration of Ability to Work with Others (prompts provided)
Demonstration of Integrity/Personal Ethics (prompts provided)
If you have questions about any of the above, please contact Dr. Jay Self at firstname.lastname@example.org.